Craft an Angel-Inspired Meat Loaf Wellington with Eat the Universe
Your host Justin Warner whips up a treat to celebrate Marvel's 80th anniversary!
In this Marvel's Eat the Universe minisode, chef Justin Warner creates a Meat Loaf Wellington inspired by one of the earliest Marvel heroes, Angel (AKA Thomas Halloway) to celebrate Marvel’s 80th Anniversary.
Angel's first appearance came in MARVEL COMICS #1, which premiered in 1939—an era in which meat loaf could be found on nearly every dinner table across the USA. Watch the video above, then read through the recipe below to make it at home!
Angel-Inspired Meat Loaf Wellington
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground pork
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 sheet puff pastry, halved
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Chopped chives, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat 2 of the eggs. Add the ground chuck, ground pork, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, and salt. Using hands, fold together until incorporated. Transfer to a loaf pan and bake until just cooked through, about 1 hour. Let cool at room temperature, then transfer to the refrigerator until completely chilled.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining egg with the water.
- Roll each piece of puff pastry to approximately 11-by-7 inches, using the flour to dust the board and rolling pin, if necessary. Line a small baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Wrap the meatloaf by placing the first piece of puff pastry on the baking sheet, followed by the chilled meatloaf, then the second piece of puff pastry. Trim the edges of the puff pastry, if necessary. Crimp the edges of the puff pastry to fully enclose, then liberally coat the edges and top with egg wash. Using a sharp knife, cut several slits in the top of the wrapped meatloaf to allow steam to escape.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Garnish with chives and serve warm.
Watch more Eat the Universe right here!
The Hype Box
Can’t-miss news and updates from across the Marvel Universe!