Frito Misto Sub-Mariner Sandwiches | Eat the Universe
Chef Brian Tsao joins Justin Warner for a Namor-Inspired Sandwich
In this week's Eat the Universe, chef Justin Warner welcomes fellow chef Brian Tsao to create an aquatic-themed sandwich inspired by sometime nemesis, sometime "ally" Namor the Sub-Mariner!
While prepping a stack of seafood for these Frito Misto Submarine Sandwiches, Warner and Tsao ask the burning question: Don't chefs have a lot in common with the King of Atlantis? And what roles would they play in such a kingdom?
Watch the episode below, then read through the recipe to try it for yourself!
- 1 pound mixed seafood, cleaned, such as bay scallops, shrimp, calamari, oysters, or white fish
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 cup instant flour, such as Wondra
- 2 cups seltzer water
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 submarine sandwich rolls, cut horizontally
- Fresh seaweed, to serve
- ½ cup Japanese mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sambal chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Pinch sugar
- Parsley leaves, to serve
- Cilantro leaves, to serve
- Preheat a large fryer to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the squid tubes into ½-inch rings, oysters into 1-inch pieces, and the fish into ½-inch pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups all-purpose flour and the instant flour. Add the seltzer water and stir to combine. Add the remaining 2 cups all-purpose flour to a shallow dish. Season the all-purpose flour and dredge with salt and pepper.
- Dredge the fish in the shallow dish of all-purpose flour, shake off any excess, then add to the batter. Carefully drop in the fryer and fry until deeply golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and season with salt. Repeat the process with the oysters, calamari, and bay scallops.
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, chili sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Whisk to combine.
- Add the seaweed, mayonnaise sauce, and fresh herbs to either cut side of the rolls. Mounds with fried seafood. Serve warm.
Watch more Eat the Universe right here!
The Hype Box
Can’t-miss news and updates from across the Marvel Universe!