Published February 5, 2019
Julie Klausner and the Captain America Beef Tongue | Eat the Universe
Join chef Justin Warner for a Sentinel of Liberty-inspired episode!
Welcome to a shield-slinging new episode of Marvel's Eat the Universe!
Captain America Beef Tongue in Aspic
- 1 beef tongue
- 3 packets gelatin
- 2 empty soup cans
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
- Yellow mustard, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the raw beef tongue in a dutch oven. Fill with water to cover halfway. Place the lid on the dutch oven and put it in the oven. Cook for six hours. Let the entire vessel cool at room temperature. Once cool and saving the braising liquid, use a sharp knife to peel the skin from the tongue.
- Cube the remaining meat, and in a small mixing bowl combine with parsley and the zest of one lemon.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of the braising liquid into a pot and bring to a simmer. Add the packets of gelatin to one half cup cold water and whisk to disperse. Add the hot braising liquid to the gelatin mixture and stir to combine, season with salt to taste.
- Add the tongue mixture to the soup can, then carefully pour the gelatin mixture over the tongue mixture.
- Transfer the cans to the refrigerator and chill until solid, this could take some time depending on how full your fridge is, but 6 hours should defs do the trick.
- Remove from the fridge, and use a can opener to open the other side of the soup can. Use an offset spatula or butter knife around the inside of the can to release the aspic from the can. Push out your gorgeous tongue baby, slice, and plate with yellow mustard.
This pairs exceptionally well with the American dream.
Watch more Eat the Universe right here!