Published January 9, 2019
Make a Fantastic Four-Inspired Grilled Cheese with Eat the Universe
Eat the Universe returns for 2019 with Hamilton star Daniel Breaker!
Grilled Cheese with Red Pepper Jelly
- 2 green apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 habanero peppers, stemmed and halved
- Half a Red Bell Pepper, seeds and ribs removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon agar agar
- ½ cup white vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 ciabatta loaf, halved horizontally
- 4 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces Spanish goat cheese
- 4 ounces aged gouda
- 4 ounces black truffle cheese
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, combine the apples, habanero peppers, red bell pepper, agar agar, and vinegar. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a saucepot lined with four layers of cheesecloth. Squeeze the liquid into the pot and discard the solids. Add the sugar and water and stir to combine.
- Place the pot over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Carefully pour the agar agar mixture into a small sheet tray. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill until fully set, about 1 hour.
- Preheat two cast iron pans or griddles over medium high heat. Build a sandwich with the four cheeses and pepper jelly.
- Melt half the butter in one of the cast iron pans and place the sandwich in the pan. Top the sandwich with remaining butter and firmly press the other grill pan on top. Cook the sandwich until crispy on the outside and melted on the inside.
- Cut in half and serve.
The Hype Box
Can’t-miss news and updates from across the Marvel Universe!