Dulcé Sloan and the Storm-Inspired Tournedos of Beef | Eat the Universe
Join chef Justin Warner for a mutant-inspired episode!
Summon the strength of a savory sky in this episode of Marvel's Eat the Universe!
In this installment, chef Justin Warner welcomes comedian and Daily Show Correspondent Dulcé Sloan to the kitchen to talk Ororo Monroe (A.K.A. Storm) and control the weather in the kitchen. Sauce clouds, peppercorn lightning, and more come together to create a superstorm of deliciousness!
Watch the episode below, then read through the recipe to try it for yourself!
- 2 fillet mignons
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Kosher salt, to taste
- ½ teaspoon raz al hanout
- 2 medallions goose or duck liver, sliced 1 inch thick
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 pieces precooked polenta, sliced about 1 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon Szechuan peppercorns
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon pregelatinized or instant flour, such as Wondra
- Finishing salt, such as fleur de sel, to garnish
- Fresh black truffle, to garnish
- Remove the fillet mignons from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
- Combine the heavy whipping cream, salt, and raz al hanout and whisk until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Place the livers in the pan and sear until deeply golden brown, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a small baking sheet lined with a cooling rack.
- Season the fillet mignon with salt and pepper. Sear to medium rare, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to the lined baking sheet. Add the polenta to the pan and sear until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Reserve with the livers and steaks.
- Add the peppercorns and toast, stirring frequently, until very fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the red wine and carefully ignite to burn off the alcohol. After the flames subside, simmer the wine mixture to reduce slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Add the flour to the wine mixture and stir to combine. Simmer to thicken, about 2 additional minutes, and season with salt.
- To serve, spoon the pan sauce onto a plate, then place the steak, followed by the polenta and liver. Garnish with the savory whipped cream, finishing salt, and shaved black truffle.
Watch more Eat the Universe right here!
The Hype Box
Can’t-miss news and updates from across the Marvel Universe!